Hot AC....no fun

Tow Rig, Diesel and Trailer Tech Discussion

Moderator: Club Officers

Ctrow

Hot AC....no fun

Post by Ctrow »

The AC Clutch assembly in my 6.0 diesel is bad. :evil: No AC in 100 degree weather = no bueno. Shop wants $700 bucks to replace it. I picked up the parts for a little over $100 in hopes to install it myself and save a few bucks. Does anyone have experience with swapping one out on a 6.0? All of the directions I've found are for 7.3's. Figured I could get started by taking the belt off and that appears to be a nightmare. Bunch of shit in the way, need two people, and supposed to take over an hour :crybaby2: . Any help on this would be great. At this point, I'm contemplating setting my diesel on fire and making an attempt to collect the insurance money.... :twisted:
1987 MJ, "Trowmanche v2.0"
1998 Cummins
2012 Jeep Compass (Mals)
shmoken875

Re: Hot AC....no fun

Post by shmoken875 »

Ctrow wrote:The AC Clutch assembly in my 6.0 diesel is bad. :evil: No AC in 100 degree weather = no bueno. Shop wants $700 bucks to replace it. I picked up the parts for a little over $100 in hopes to install it myself and save a few bucks. Does anyone have experience with swapping one out on a 6.0? All of the directions I've found are for 7.3's. Figured I could get started by taking the belt off and that appears to be a nightmare. Bunch of shit in the way, need two people, and supposed to take over an hour :crybaby2: . Any help on this would be great. At this point, I'm contemplating setting my diesel on fire and making an attempt to collect the insurance money.... :twisted:
hmmmmm thought you were a ford fan :confused2:
Randy
Tow Piglet/DD: Silverado
Driveway Ornament: Clifford the big red Jeep
Big Rick

Post by Big Rick »

Where are you working on it? I may be able to lend a hand for a bit sometime next week if you're not already done with it by then.
2012 Silverado
2009 KLR650
BadnewsCJ

Post by BadnewsCJ »

roll the windows down :flipoff2:
Nick
'79 Jeep
'99 F350 tow rig
'13 TDI Wagen DD
Ctrow

Post by Ctrow »

Big Rick wrote:Where are you working on it? I may be able to lend a hand for a bit sometime next week if you're not already done with it by then.
I live in Linden outside of Front Royal VA, but thanks for the offer. Got to pull a motor and trans out of a heep down in Williamsburg this weekend and might tackle it after that. And yes Rant, I'm a ford fan. :flipoff2: However, this truck has been nothing but problems since I bought it. I might re-evaluate things this winter. I drive mal's focus to work everyday, and the diesel is an expense driveway ornament…..
1998 Cummins
2012 Jeep Compass (Mals)
shmoken875

Post by shmoken875 »

Ctrow wrote:
Big Rick wrote:Where are you working on it? I may be able to lend a hand for a bit sometime next week if you're not already done with it by then.
I live in Linden outside of Front Royal VA, but thanks for the offer. Got to pull a motor and trans out of a heep down in Williamsburg this weekend and might tackle it after that. And yes Rant, I'm a ford fan. :flipoff2: However, this truck has been nothing but problems since I bought it. I might re-evaluate things this winter. I drive mal's focus to work everyday, and the diesel is an expense driveway ornament…..
I'll sell you a slightly used chebby with 24k on the clock :mrgreen:

I hope you don't mean you're gonna sell it....how you supposed to tow the xj around?
Randy
Tow Piglet/DD: Silverado
Driveway Ornament: Clifford the big red Jeep
Stinson

Post by Stinson »

what is wrong with the clutch assembly? There is a specific air gap that is required. You can sometimes shim it to get the correct gap back. 5 min job.
86 toy: the wheeler
99 F250 Powerstroke
05 KTM 525exc: woods weapon
03 XR650R
Ctrow

Post by Ctrow »

Stinson wrote:what is wrong with the clutch assembly? There is a specific air gap that is required. You can sometimes shim it to get the correct gap back. 5 min job.
Knocked it out with my Step Dad this weekend. Belt was super easy with a second set of hands and after looking at the compressor pulley for about 10 mins I realized my problem.....the clutch plate was gone :eek:. Bolt must have worked its way loose and the plate fell off. Tossed a new front plate on, shimmed to spec and I’ll back to riding in style. :thumby: I love my truck again....until something else goes wrong.
1998 Cummins
2012 Jeep Compass (Mals)
UNIMOG-GUY

Re:

Post by UNIMOG-GUY »

Ctrow wrote: However, this truck has been nothing but problems since I bought it. I might re-evaluate things this winter. I drive mal's focus to work everyday, and the diesel is an expense driveway ornament…..
I tried to warn you....
1965 Mercedes Benz Unimog 404 w/ MB-A 7 ton PTO winch and crawler gears for 413:1 crawl ratio, LPG
1986 Chevrolet CUCV M1008 FOR SALE
1986 Chevrolet CUCV M1028 w/ snowplow and H1 rims and 37" tires FOR SALE

An original member of the SC4WDA.